Thursday 14 July 2016

Vegan Diner - Quick and Hearty Chili


For some reason I decided on chili a few weeks ago - I hadn't had one in ages, although we've been having plenty of fajitas, enchiladas, nachos.....why not chili!?
I used to have a go to recipe that was given to me by my sister, but I remembered making the Quick & Hearty Chili recipe from Vegan Diner a few years ago and it tasting remarkably similar to the recipe my sister had given me and that it only took about a quarter of the time.  So I grabbed Vegan Diner and that was the recipe I went to...

I made a few changes to suit what I had in and our preferences. The recipe calls for 2 cans of kidney beans - Niall isn't a super huge bean fan and I only had black beans in, so used 1 can of black beans.  I think if I had used the two cans called for it would have been too beany for my liking (and definitely too much for Niall).  To make up some of the bulk I added a bit more TVP (maybe an extra half a cup).
I also didn't use capsicum (bell pepper), as they are quite spendy at the moment and also Niall isn't keen on them.  So instead I added some mushrooms, as that was a staple in the recipe my sister gave me many years ago.

Aside from that I made the recipe as is, and I had forgotten how good it is!  It really does taste like it has been bubbling away for hours, when in actual fact it is quite a quick recipe to make.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed this and I made a mental note not to leave it so long before making it again!

Final verdict: delicious, easy to make recipe
Final score: 4.5 out of 5 (losing half a star because would have been too many beans if I'd made the recipe as is)

No comments:

Post a Comment