Thursday 14 July 2016

Viva Vegan - Peruvian Seitan & Potato Skewers


Ok ok, so I didn't really make this recipe, but kinda did!  I wanted a filling for soft tacos and remembered that I had made this a few years ago, so decided to base my filling on this for a change from our usual fillings.

I really only used the marinade for this recipe, as I made so many changes.....I didn't make them as skewers, didn't use the seitan recipe called for (Niall doesn't like homemade stuff and loves the stuff you can get in cans), didn't use potatoes and added some mushrooms instead.

I used the whole recipe for the marinade, but roughly half the amount of seitan (didn't really measure so not sure) and no potatoes - I wanted it quite saucy rather than a dry marinade, and if I remember I would do this again.

Having made all those changes, we loved the final result - Niall even commented how good it was.  He had been concerned that it would be vinegary as it had smelled quite strongly of vinegar as it was marinating but it wasn't.

My only real gripe was that it was quite oily but I guess that was because I cooked it all up in a pan rather than on skewers, maybe?

I have made this in the past as a pan fry thing with potatoes and that does work really we too, just wasn't what we were after this time.

Final verdict: great flavours, and with shop bought seitan a nice easy recipe
Final rating: 4.5 out of 5 (losing half a point for the oiliness)

No comments:

Post a Comment