Monday 9 May 2016

1000 Vegan Recipes - Curried Pumpkin Soup


So we have an abundance of butternut squash in the garden and so wanted to make some sort of pumkin soup for our lunch this week - in winter I make a big batch every week for Niall and I to take to work.

Now any soup that isn't my usual leek, lentil and barley soup has a lot to live up to - Niall and I are happy to eat that soup every day for lunch for the entire winter!!  But I needed to use up that pumpkin so.....

First of all the recipe calls for 2 cups cooked pumpkin and after chopping and deseeding one of ours, I probably had over that amount but I didn't measure (it was a med-large butternut).  I then cooked / roasted it in the oven with a bit of water (instead of oil) for about half an hour until most of it was tender.

The recipe uses chopped garlic and grated ginger - both of which I doubled because of the extra pumpkin.  It also calls for some curry powder and after getting halfway though the recipe I realised I had run out - *gasp*!  So after a quick google for homemade curry powder I used a blend of cumin, coriander, ground ginger, cayenne, mustard powder and turmeric.  But overall used double what the recipe called for to up the spice/flavours.

The rest of the recipe I followed, except adding a bit more water to get to the consistency I knew Niall would be happy with.

The end result?  We LOVED this soup!  So much so that Niall said I can make this again during the winter instead of the usual leek lentil & barley soup!

Final verdict: easy to make, really tasty.  A keeper
Score: 4.5 out of 5 (losing a half a star because as written the recipe may not have had enough spice)

No comments:

Post a Comment