Friday 5 August 2016

Viva Vegan - Shredded Seitan and Mushroom Empanadas with Raisins and Olives



Ok, so I'm not really reviewing this recipe as is because I just used the empanada filling for soft tacos.

I didn't use the specified seitan recipe from the book as Niall doesn't tend to like homeade seitan and so instead used some canned mock duck.  I initially started grating it but that was just too difficult / fiddly so I ended up just chopping it up finely - and TBH that was absolutely fine.

I didn't really make any other changes and thought that, with using the premade seitan, it cam together really quickly and was a nice and simple recipe.

I wasn't sure how Niall would like this recipe as it contained black olives, which I don't normally use, and raisins, which he's not usually too keen on - but he loved the combo!! And even commented on how he liked the olives!  I personally liked the raisins in it to give it a touch of sweetness.

We both really enjoyed this recipe and I found it more flavouful than I expected from the limited ingredients.  In fact we both enjoyed it so much that we had it again a few nights later!!  I must, must, must remember to make again.

Final verdict: quick and easy to make, and really tasty!
Final score: 5 out of 5 - WOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment