Friday 5 August 2016

Vegan Vegan - Costa Rican Refried Beans and Rice (Gallo Pinto)


Again, another recipe I know I made years ago and just haven't made since for no apparent reason.

The recipe states to use either pink, black or red beans - I used black as I already had some cooked up in my freezer (I assume the pink beans would be pinto and the red beans would be kidney?).  It also calls for some of the bean cooking water as the liquid but I didn't have any as my beans were already cooked so I just used some broth - but I think it would have been much better with the bean cooking water to give it the proper consistency.

If I had already had some cooked rice, then this would have been a fairly quick recipe to make, but unfortunately I didn't so it was quite time consuming, cooking the rice and allowing it to cool.

I remember being absolutely wowed by this when I made it before, but this time it was just meh - maybe a bit bland?  The only change from the recipe I made was to omit the liquid smoke, as I had run out - but I'm not really sure that would have made a huge difference.  I'll maybe try again with the smoke, but if that doesn't make a vast difference I probably won't make again.

Final verdict: ok, but kinda bland
Final score: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment