Friday 5 August 2016

Viva Vegan - Pickled Red Onions


Whilst perusing my copy of Viva Vegan the other week, this recipe popped out at me....which is strange as I've never even noticed it before!

So after going out and buying some red onions (the only ingredient I didn't have on hand), I made this one evening.  As per the recommendation in the book, I made it the night before I actually wanted to have it for dinner - the book states it needs to be left to pickle for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Well, it was super easy to make and the end result.....I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it!  Trying it on it's own, I wasn't a fan - but loaded up on a quesadilla, I quite enjoyed it.  The recipe keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge and so I had it the following week on soft tacos, and enjoyed it pretty fine that way too.  It added a nice crunch and a bit of tartness.

However, I wasn't blown away by it, and Niall really wasn't a fan, so I'm not sure I would make it again - and this time I don't mean that as in I won't make it again, rather I really am not sure!  I still can't decide whether I really enjoyed it, or didn't really like it.

Final verdict: I'm really not sure! Easy to make though.
Final score: 2.5 out of 5, as I really don't know what to make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment